Thursday, June 21, 2012

Getting the Ironing Board Out of the Way!

I'm not sure how many people still actually iron or not but my husband is ironing weekly when he's home. I do not know if it's just his base or what but every Monday he is supposed to wear his dress blues. When we first moved into our apartment, he set it up and we've left it there. I was pretty much okay with it. Throughout the week we would put things on it and on Monday he would clear it. Even now that he's gone, it has still been a catch all for things. After reading a book called Spaces and Places by Debbie Diller which is about organizing a classroom I realized there were a few places in my apartment that are becoming catch-alls for my stuff.

Well as I was cleaning things today getting ready to go on vacation. Random thought: Don't you hate how we spend hours cleaning our homes before going on vacation? I understand why we do it but it's just so ugh! Especially me because it's been awhile since I've done it because of my very busy schedule.

Anyway, back to what I was saying... I was cleaning off the ironing board to put all the stuff away. While doing that I was thinking about getting it out of the way. I looked over to one of our walls and saw a space that I could place the ironing board. Then I looked over to the french doors to our bedroom (one of which we keep closed) and remembered a pin that I had repinned recently having to do with the ironing board. They had taken two individual coat hangers mounted onto a piece of decorative board. The board was then mounted to the wall and there hung to ironing board. It looked very pretty and out of the way.

Well, again, I modified this idea to what I needed out of it. I thought about using an over the door coat hanger that you can get at Target to do the same thing. So off to target.com I went to see what I could find. I hate going to the store to find things and not really know what my options are. Also, I wanted to ask the husband for his opinion to see what he thought about it all. I originally was looking for a hanger with just two hooks. Almost right away I found something to modify the idea to what I really was looking to do. I wanted to store the iron some place as well. This is what I found. Asked the hubby and he agreed. So the next chance I got which was when I was done cleaning the living room I went to the local target to find it.

The following is what the packaging looks like and how it looks when it all is put away :). For this particular coat hanger, you will probably actually want to look in the same asile as where the 3M Command Strips are located.



The iron does not fit the exact what I wanted it too but it still works out nicely. The four hooks are actually better because all are supporting the board now instead of just having two try and support it. The two hook ones have the two hooks so close that it might have been supported as well.

I'm extremely happy that these are now up and out of the way and not going to be a catch-all for our stuff. We also don't really have a real laundry room so that makes storing it a bit harder as well. And again, he was using it so often it makes sense for us to have it in an area that can be accessed easily. Now, they are still in the same area to where they were set up but no longer in the way or anything. My dining room and walking area are free of clutter now!

No comments:

Post a Comment